Content tagged ''
Content tagged 'computing'
Computer architecture is at a crossroads - "Moore's Law" which has been the technological engine powering exponentially faster computers is running into some serious roadblocks. I will explain where Moore's Law comes from, what it really means, why it is stalling, and possible ways forward. Most interesting to the general audience, though, is the observation that all of the ways to engineer around the end of Moore's Law will result in tomorrow's computers looking substantially different from today's. Examining these potential future computer systems can give us a glimpse into possible futures for an information-based society.
The genetic algorithm is a computer model of evolution that is used by:
• biologists to model how organisms evolve in nature
• corporations to evolve jet engines and factory layouts
• engineers to evolve circuits and antennas
• computer scientists to evolve computer programs and artificial intelligence
• artists and musicians to evolve pictures and melodies
In this talk, I will tell you how the genetic algorithm works, show you an example of it in operation, and give you all the information you need to start playing with it yourself.