You've decided that you want to organize an Ignite event and may be wondering what the next steps will be. You will want to gather together a team, secure a location, and pick a date first. Send an email to email@example.com – we’ll get you started.
When to contact us:
- You have the idea
- You secure the venue or date
- You’re unsure if there’s an existing Ignite event in your area
Get a Team Together
There are many jobs that need doing to produce an Ignite. One person can do them all (though it's a lot of work), but it's easier, and more fun, if more people are involved. Here are some of the jobs that need to be done:
- Venue liaison
- Ignite talk coordinator
- Ignite talk MC
- Ignite Contest coordinator
- Ignite Contest MC
- Onsite Help—set up, hand out badges and drink tickets, clean up
Find a Location
This is often the hardest part. You need to find a space that:
- has a bar
- has a stage with lighting and sound
- will work acoustically to accommodate a large crowd as well as sound equipment
- isn't too big or small
- That last point is key. For the first Ignite in your area you may want to aim smaller rather than larger. It's better to have an overflowing house than to have empty seats. Let the space grow with your crowd.
Venues have different ways of ensuring that they make money. Some charge upfront, some have a bar minimum—think carefully before signing a contract.
Some venues require insurance.
Pick a Date
This part sounds easy, but you'll want to make sure that there are no competing events. We suggest aiming for a Thursday, Wednesday, or a Tuesday (in that order). It's easier to get people to attend an event on weekdays. Mondays tend to be bad, as people are still catching up from the weekend.